Haiti prosecutor withdraws travel ban on former officials - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
-3.5°C

Haiti prosecutor withdraws travel ban on former officials

June 02, 2016 - 9:22 AM

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A Haitian prosecutor has withdrawn a travel ban he issued against nine former electoral officials and 11 Cabinet ministers in ex-President Michel Martelly's government.

Port-au-Prince prosecutor Jean Danton Leger earlier this week issued the order to prevent the people on the list from leaving the country. Former Prime Minister Evans Paul and ex-ministers had blasted Leger for issuing the ban against them and fought against it.

Leger never specified a reason for issuing the ban. He did not respond to Thursday calls. But a late Wednesday statement he signed said it was cancelled "pending referral to the ordinary channels of prosecution."

Justice Minister Camille Junior Edouard had said the interim government had nothing to do with the prosecutor's decision.

News from © The Associated Press, 2016
The Associated Press

  • Popular kelowna News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile