Philippine news site critical of Duterte loses court appeal - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Clear
-0.6°C

Philippine news site critical of Duterte loses court appeal

FILE - In this Jan. 16, 2018, file photo, Rappler CEO and Executive Editor Maria Ressa gestures during an interview at their office in metropolitan Manila, Philippines. The Court of Appeals has upheld a decision that the online news site critical of President Rodrigo Duterte violated a constitutional ban on foreign ownership of news media. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila, File)
March 11, 2019 - 6:03 PM

MANILA, Philippines - A Philippine appeals court has upheld a decision that an online news site critical of President Rodrigo Duterte violated a constitutional ban on foreign ownership of news media.

The Court of Appeals said in a decision made public Monday that Rappler Inc. effectively allowed U.S.-based investor Omidyar Network "to participate" in its corporate actions and decisions in violation of the constitution, which requires media companies to be fully owned and managed by Filipinos.

Rappler argued that it did not grant Omidyar the power to control or influence its news operations, but last year, the appeals court backed a Securities and Exchange Commission decision to revoke the site's license.

Media watchdogs have said the move was an act to muzzle the media.

While upholding its ruling against Rappler, the appeals court asked the SEC to reassess its revocation of the news website's operating license after Omidyar donated its holdings in Rappler to some of the site's managers and staff.

"It is incumbent upon the SEC to evaluate the terms and conditions of said alleged supervening donation ... whether the same has the effect of mitigating, if not curing, the violation it found," the court said.

Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said the government would not interfere in the case and "will let the law take its course." He said Rappler's case was not a press freedom issue.

Last month, Rappler's chief executive officer and executive editor, Maria Ressa, was arrested but freed on bail over an online libel case.

The move against Ressa, who was one of Time magazine's Persons of the Year last year, was denounced by Rappler and media watchdogs as a threat to press freedom. Duterte's government said the arrest was a normal step in response to a criminal complaint.

News from © The Associated Press, 2019
The Associated Press

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
  • Rewards for missing pets occupy legal grey zone
    KELOWNA - John Brooke was walking in the woods near Glenrosa two weeks ago when his dog Gus went missing. Brooke said he lost sight of his dog and spent the next two hours whistling for him to no
  • UPDATE: No injuries in Trans-Canada Highway avalanche
    REVELSTOKE — The Trans-Canada Highway near Revelstoke is currently closed after an avalanche hit this afternoon. A small natural avalanche occurred 46 km east of Revelstoke at about 1
  • Salmon Arm man fined $3,000 for poaching cow moose
    SALMON ARM - A Salmon Arm man has been fined $3,000 and had two firearms confiscated for poaching a cow moose out of season. B.C. Conservation Officer Service spokesperson Tanner Beck said t
  • TRENDING NOW: Voice actress trolls scammer
    %%nodefaultimage%% Rosie Okumura is a California-based artist who likes to have a little fun with scammers. In the first part of the video she explains the scam that targets film indus
  • Sunny and warm in the Okanagan this week
    KELOWNA  - It looks like spring has arrived with a vengeance in the Okanagan a couple of days before the official date. Environment Canada is offering a simple forecast for the ent
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile