Kamloops wines win big at national competition
KAMLOOPS - Three Kamloops wineries walked away with nine medal at the 37th annual All Canadian Wine Championships in Ontario last week.
Over three days, 20 wine judges from six provinces judged wines to determine the top ones in a number of categories sorted by grape variety and price, according to a Kamloops Wineries Association media release.
Wines were scored on a 100-point scale, and awarded medals accordingly, during the oldest national wine competition.
Executive director for the Kamloops Wineries Association, Trish Morelli, says quality wine is being produced in the Thompson Valley.
"Wine competitions and professional reviews can hold a lot of weight in our industry," Morelli says in the release. "To see our young Kamloops wineries do so well in a national competition of this calibre is a real testament to the talent of our winemakers and the quality of wine coming out of the emerging Thompson Valley wine region."
The nine medal-winning wines came from the three Kamloops Wine Trail wineries, with top spots going to the following:
- Monte Creek Ranch Winery 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve with a double gold medal.
- Monte Creek Ranch Winery 2014 Ranch Hand Red Reserve with a gold medal.
- Harper's Trail Estate Winery 2015 Cabernet Franc with a gold medal.
- Privato Vineyard and Winery 2014 Tesoro Pinot Noir Woodward Collection with a gold medal.
- Monte Creek Ranch Winery 2015 Cabernet Merlot with a silver medal
- Harper's Trail Estate Winery 2016 Pioneer Block Riesling with a silver medal.
- Harper's Trail Estate Winery 2016 Silver Mane Riesling with a bronze medal.
- Harper's Trail Estate Winery 2016 Rose with a bronze medal.
- Monte Creek Ranch Winery 2016 Hands Up White with a bronze medal.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.