iN TRAFFIC: Fog and some slippery sections on Thompson-Okanagan highways
Fog will make driving difficult on many highways this morning, Jan. 17, and through mountain passes leading to Kamloops and the Okanagan.
There are official fog advisories for the North Thompson as well as the Trans-Canada Highway from Eagle Pass to Rogers Pass.
The B.C. Travellers Forecast says there’s a 30% chance of flurries on the Coquihalla Highway between Hope and Merritt with snow levels rising to 700 metres this afternoon.
The section of the highway from Merritt to Kamloops and the Okanagan Connector should see a mix of sun and cloud with fog patches dissipating near noon.
DriveBC warns or slippery sections from 6 km south of the Great Bear Snowshed to the Coquihalla Summit on the Coquihalla Highway between Hope and Merritt.
On the Okanagan Connector, watch for slippery sections from the Pennask Summit to West Kelowna.
Drivers on Highway 3 from Hope to Princeton can expect a 30% chance of flurries with snow levels at 600 metres and fog patches dissipating near noon.
On Highway 1 there is limited visibility due to fog from 6 km east of Kamloops to the Sicamous area with some water pooling.
Highway 1 through Eagle Pass to Rogers Pass shows a 70% chance of flurries dropping to 30% near noon with a freezing level near valley bottoms. Fog should lift late this morning.
Environment Canada forecast mainly cloudy skies today in Kamloops with a high of 3 Celsius for the next three days. Overnight lows will dip to freezing then a bit below in the coming nights.
Kelowna and Vernon can also expect a high of 3 C today and an overnight low of 0 C while Penticton could get to 4 C today, dropping to 1 C overnight. It will be mainly cloudy throughout the Okanagan today.
Sun Peaks Ski Resort had no new snow in the last 24 hours leaving the hill with an alpine base of 142 cm. It’s -5 C.
Silver Star Mountain Resort is 0 C, with 2 cm of new snow in the last 24 hours and an alpine base of 172 cm.
Big White Ski Resort had 7 cm of new snow in the last 24 hours, is -3 C and has an alpine base of 189 cm.
Apex Mountain Resort had no new snow in the last 24 hours but has an alpine base of 172 cm and is -5 C.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Rob Munro or call 250-808-0143 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.