Your Kamloops commute this week
Contributed/City of Kamloops
Image Credit: Contributed
August 23, 2015 - 5:30 PM
Overlanders Bridge Rehabilitation Project (Week of Aug 23)
- With the re-opening of the south west off ramp, all southbound passenger vehicles and buses traveling downtown are now detoured through a temporary bypass that was constructed off the south west ramp. All southbound heavy trucks must detour through Mission Flats intersection (detour signs are in place) or travel up Summit Drive. Traffic control signage and personnel are in place.
- Motorists are reminded to slow down through the construction zone.
- Crews continue work on the west sidewalk and west side of the bridge deck, as well as the south east approach ramp.
- The sidewalk on the Fortune Drive overpass will re-open early in the week. Modular fencing will be installed along the concrete path from the bridge deck to Big O Tire as a safety precaution. The asphalt ramp connecting Fortune Drive to Tranquille Road remains closed at this time.
Columbia Street Widening Project (Week of Aug 23)
- Crews continue work on the north side of Columbia Street between 3rd and 6th avenues. West bound traffic travels in the inside lane on the north side of the median. Left turn lanes for west bound traffic are open. East bound traffic travels in the curb lane on the south side of Columbia Street.
- The north sidewalk between 4th and 6th avenues remains closed to all pedestrian traffic as crews continue to remove concrete curb and gutter. The south sidewalk is now open.
- Landscaping work continues in the centre medians.
- With heavier than normal traffic congestion through the Columbia Street construction zone, motorists are reminded not to block intersections and to use alternate routes if possible.
- The #9 Gleneagles and the #7 Aberdeen buses traveling from downtown to Aberdeen continue to temporarily re-route away from Columbia Street to avoid some of the congestion. For more information, visit www.bctransit.com (trip alerts) or call 250-376-1216.
12th Street Reconstruction (Tranquille Road to Lethbridge Avenue) (Week of Aug 23)
- Crews will begin installation of the west sidewalk between Tranquille Road and Sherbrooke Avenue. Single lane, alternating traffic will be in effect.
- On Tuesday, August 25, there will be a full road closure between Sherbrooke Avenue and Lethbridge Avenue for water service work. Detours will be in effect.
- Residents are reminded to slow down in the construction zone and to obey all traffic control signs and personnel.
Other Road Projects (Arterial and Collector roads) Starting late August / early September
Aberdeen Drive (Kamloops-Princeton Highway to Pacific Way)
- Work begins August 31, with completion estimated by the end of October. Work will consist of milling and paving, construction of a left turn bay at Van Horne Drive, minor drainage improvements, and curb, gutter and sidewalk repairs.
Dallas Drive (O'Connor Road to Silverstream Road)
- Work is scheduled to start at the end of August, with a fall completion date. Work will consist of twinning of the sanitary main, road reconstruction and paving, construction of concrete curb, gutter and sidewalk, and miscellaneous upgrades.
For both projects, there will be temporary detours in place. Expect minor delays. Please obey all traffic control signs and personnel.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015