March 20, 2015 - 12:41 PM
KAMLOOPS – The City of Kamloops wants to celebrate Earth Hour with you. So turn down the thermostat, turn off the lights, unplug your electronics, and bring the whole family out for two free movies to be shown on the score clock at Interior Savings Centre.
Come out on Saturday, March 28, for this FREE double feature movie night:
5 p.m. - Doors open to public
6 p.m. - The Lego Movie (PG)
8 p.m. - The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (PG)
Help fill the electric car with non-perishable food items for the Kamloops Food Bank and receive a FREE swim pass. Concessions will be open, so you can grab a beverage and popcorn to enjoy during the show. Be sure to bring a blanket to keep warm.
Want to get a little more active during Earth Hour? Come out for the dim swim at Canada Games Pool from 6 to 9 p.m.
Earth Hour is an annual global event hosted by the World Wildlife Fund that encourages individuals to turn off unnecessary lights and electronics to conserve power and demonstrate support for climate change reduction efforts. This global event takes place on the last Saturday of March from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. local time.
Cannot make it to free movie night or the Canada Games Pool? Here are some other ideas on how to celebrate Earth Hour:
- Go for a moonlight walk
- Play a board game under candle light
- Have a fondue dinner
- Take the hour to switch out incandescent light bulbs with LED light bulbs
Here are some other tips to save energy:
- Wash clothes in cold water; water heating accounts for 90 per cent of the energy used. Hang your clothes to dry whenever possible; a dryer typically uses the most electricity of any appliance (after the refrigerator.)
- Lowering the thermostat at bedtime and while you are away can reduce your energy bill by 10 per cent or more without affecting your comfort.
- Limit showers to five minutes or less and use a low flow shower head.
Unplug and make a difference; a bigger difference than you think!
For more information, visit www.kamloops.ca or www.earthhour.org.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015