Westlake Road upgrade construction to begin
April 09, 2014 - 3:51 PM
West Kelowna Council tendered the $5.1 million Westlake Road Upgrade construction project on April 8, 2014 with work expected to begin this month on this important transportation corridor.
TT Contractors Ltd. was the lowest bidder on the construction project which will see Westlake Road, between Highway 97 and Starlight Crescent, transformed from a rural state to an urban arterial standard. The project is expected to take approximately five months to complete and will include the construction of:
- 3.6 metre wide travel lanes in each direction
- 1.5 metre cycling lanes in each direction
- Curb, gutter and underground storm drainage
- Replacement watermain
- 1.8 metre wide sidewalks at in each direction from Stevens Road to Highway 97
- 1.8 metre wide sidewalks on the east side from Stevens Road to Starlight Crescent
- 56 streetlights
- A roundabout traffic circle at the intersection of Stevens Road and Westlake Road.
During construction, motorists can expect traffic disruptions and road closures. Signage will be placed at key intersections indicating alternate routes during construction. Detour routes will be established to access homes and businesses throughout the construction period with a detailed detour map available on the District’s website. Residents can watch the website for traffic notifications related to Westlake Road or to sign up to be emailed this information directly via the District’s e-Notification system. The District’s Facebook and Twitter followers will also be notified of construction activity.
The total Westlake Road Upgrade project is expected to cost $6.2 million with the following funding sources:
- Development Cost Charges: $3.876 million
(from new construction projects over the past several years).
- Gas Tax Funds: $500,000
(provided by the Government of Canada and Province of British Columbia).
- District Capital Reserves: $479,300
- Reserves for Future Expenditures: $250,000
- Water Reserve: $1.038 million
- Donation: $95,000
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014