April 26, 2015 - 9:05 PM
Spring is here and it’s a pleasure for local homeowners and gardeners to see the early blooms and the greening of their lawns, but residents are reminded that no outdoor watering is allowed between the hours of 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. in West Kelowna.
In West Kelowna, Stage 1 sprinkling regulations are in effect throughout the irrigation season, regardless if the season begins early or not.
Stage 1 regulations are:
Sprinkling is only permitted at residential, commercial, and other non-agricultural properties as follows:
- Even numbered addresses: Watering is only permitted on Even Calendar Days.
- Odd numbered addresses: Watering is only permitted on Odd Calendar Days.
Automatically Controlled Underground Sprinkling Systems (Residential & Commercial):
- Properties equipped with an automated time clock sprinkler system may only sprinkle between the hours of 12:00 Midnight to 6:00 a.m. on the days permitted by the sprinkling regulations as described above.
Manually Controlled Sprinklers (Residential & Commercial):
- Properties equipped with only manually controlled sprinkling systems, including those attached to outside taps, may only operate from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 Midnight on the days permitted by the sprinkling regulations as described above.
· Sprinkling is not permitted between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. during any day at any time of the year.
· Only one ½” diameter outlet (outside tap) may be used at one time for sprinkling, and further, it is not permissible to use an open pipe or hose for irrigating purposes.
· Under certain situations, such as drought conditions, protection of works and the efficiency of the system as a whole, the District may introduce additional restrictions.
Over the past several years, water conservation has had a positive effect in the reduction of peak flows and overall water consumption and the District of West Kelowna thanks its customers for their cooperation.
See the District’s website, www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/water, under Residents/Water for more information on water conservation and watering regulations. Residents can also find additional conservation tips at Okanagan Waterwise - www.okwaterwise.ca.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015