Current Conditions

Mainly Clear
10.5°C

West Kelowna basement fire started by toilet paper and a light bulb

FILE PHOTO
April 20, 2017 - 1:32 PM

WEST KELOWNA – Rolls of toilet paper stored too close to a light bulb caused a basement fire in West Kelowna this morning.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue were called to a structure fire on Bridlehill Court around 10:30 a.m. today, April 20. Assistant fire chief Brent Watson says in a media release the fire started in a basement storage room.

“The fire was accidental in nature and was caused by several rolls of paper towel coming into contact with a halogen light bulb, which sparked a fire,” he says.

Damage was limited when the heat from the fire caused an overhead water line to fail and spill water in the area.

“Once on scene, fire crews quickly extinguished hot spots, pulled down the impacted walls and ceiling, and ventilated the house,” Watson says.

There were no injuries and the house was insured.

Watson reminds the public to always ensure there is adequate space between heat sources such as lights, space heaters and candles, and combustibles including drapes, paper, flammable liquids.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile