November 01, 2013 - 11:39 AM
VERNON - If you haven't got Friday night or weekend plans yet, check out this list of local events and take your pick.
Environment Canada is predicting a cloudy Saturday with a 30 per cent chance of showers and high of 7 C. Sunday looks similar, with a mix of sun and cloud and 40 per cent chance of rain. On Sunday, expect a high of 4 C. It doesn't look like it's going to get below freezing this weekend, but temperatures in the minus range are forecast for next week.
- Check out a locally based business and craft fair at the Halina Seniors Centre from 4-8 p.m. Friday or on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Grab your dancing shoes and head to the Ghouls Night Out Halloween party hosted by the Army & Navy Airforce Club on 46 Ave. Shawn Lightfoot Band will be playing. Starts at 7 p.m.
- Keep the party going by taking in Vernon’s nightlife, including the Halloween Bender at The Green (starting at 9 p.m., no cover) featuring drink specials, live music and prizes for best costume. Checkers Bar and Grill is hosting a similar event called the Halloween Howler, starting off at 8 p.m. and featuring the band Mace, as well as specials, and costume prizes.
- Admire some artwork, and maybe buy some at Gallery Vertigo’s Almost Famous Live Art Auction of fabulous fakes. Tickets available for $20 at Bean Scene or the gallery. Event will feature live music, appies and dozens of fine art replicas.
- Sample a variety of cheeses at the Cheese! 100 Years in the Making event at the Oddfellows Hall in Armstrong. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free.
- Do a little Christmas shopping at the Best Western Lodge between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. where local potters and artisans will be toting their wares. Admission is free.
- Visit the Vernon Public Art Gallery and learn the art of etching. Workshop is open between 11 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. at a cost of $7 for members, and $10 for non-members. Pre-registration required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (250) 545-3173
- Check out the Okanagan Science Centre’s planetarium for a guide through the galaxies. Touch down early to guarantee space. Starts at 1 p.m.
- Okanagan College Professor Howard Hisdal will by giving a presentation entitled “Camp Vernon: Serving Canada in Peace and War from 1913-2013” at the Greater Vernon Museum & Archives. As space is limited please call the museum to pre-register. Admission is by donation. Runs 2-3:30 p.m. Call (250) 542-3142 or (250) 542-5358
- Treat yourself to the symphony as the Youth Symphony of the Okanagan celebrates its 25th anniversary at Trinity United Church. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth and seniors, and $5 for children. Starts at 7:30 p.m.
Have we missed something? Send event information to email@example.com.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013