April 30, 2013 - 9:57 AM
Kamloops, B.C. – As summer approaches, residents are reminded that water restrictions are in effect starting May 1st, through to August 31st.
· Even number addresses irrigate on even number days, odd on odd days (example: 1234 City Drive waters on July 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.)
· Complexes/Strata use internal addresses to establish watering days
· Irrigation not permitted between 11am and 6pm
· Manual sprinklers permitted between 6 am to 11 am and 6 pm to 12 am
· Automatic (timed) sprinklers permitted between 6pm to 11am the following day
· Spring loaded nozzles are mandatory for outdoor hand use of hoses (washing your car, watering your garden). Watering with a spring loaded nozzle is allowed at any time.
· If you have sod or new seed that requires daily irrigation, you must obtain an exemption from the City by calling 250-828-3461.
The help keep a healthy lawn, follow these tips:
· Your lawn needs 2.5 cm of water per week.
· Water deeply but infrequently, only 1 to 2 days per week.
· Leave grass 5 to 7.5 cm tall to retain water, allow deep root growth and divert weeds.
· Leave grass clippings on your lawn to help keep in moisture and provide organic nutrients.
· Sprinkling during the hottest time of the day is wasteful due to evaporation.
· $100 - first offence
· $200 - each subsequent offence
· No warnings are issued for offences
Watch for the City of Kamloops ECOSmart Team in your neighbourhood this summer. They are full of useful water conservation tips!
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013