January 06, 2016 - 12:00 PM
Winter snow, ice and cold can create challenges at the best of times. The Regional Waste Reduction Office would like to remind you during heavier snow fall and poor road conditions, your garbage and recycling collection may be delayed. Your waste hauler, OK Environmental Waste Systems is doing its’ best to ensure regular collection schedules are maintained.
If your regular collection day is missed, collection will take place on the following day, weather conditions permitting. In extreme weather conditions, collection may be delayed more than one day.
Slippery roads, especially on sloped or more challenging streets are not safe for large collection vehicles, workers, or residents. The first priority is to clear roads to make them safe, and make collection possible. Residents whose garbage or recycling has not been picked up should continue to leave it out for collection, and the waste haulers will pick it up as soon as possible. (Do not bring your carts back in until they have been emptied to ensure your collection is not missed.)
In winter months, it may be necessary to alter the regular placement of your carts to ensure the collection vehicle can reach them.
- Find or clear an unobstructed site to put your carts out for collection. (Please note: It is the responsibility of the resident to clear appropriate space at the curb/roadway in front of their property for placement of carts.)
- Put carts as close as possible to the street, without obstructing the street, sidewalk or bike lane. (Often placing your carts on either side of your driveway allows for greater ease for the collection trucks and for you.)
- Keep carts off the travelled portion of the roadway so as not to interfere with snow plows- do not place carts in a location where the snow plow will hit them.
- The cart should be no closer than three feet from any obstacle, parked car, or other cart - an arm’s length spacing is required between each cart. (When considering cart placement, it’s important to note the automated arm on the collection truck can only reach a maximum of eight feet from the truck, and up to one foot off the ground.)
- Do not place carts behind or on top of snow banks.
- Please have your carts out for collection by 7 a.m. (Avoid placing your carts out the night before collection and bring them away from the road as soon as possible, to avoid interfering with snow plows often working in the very late and early morning hours to clear our roadways.)
- Clear your cart of snow and ice to ensure the lid opens when cart is tipped.
- General Safety: As the waste collection carts are equipped with wheels, please use extra caution when wheeling them in snowy and icy conditions.
For more information on proper placement and how to handle your carts in winter conditions, visit www.regionaldistrict.com/recycle.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016