Vees sticking around for four more years
By Meaghan Archer
Clarke and Harbinson shake hands after a press conference announcing the new contract.
(MEAGHAN ARCHER / iNFOnews.ca)
April 25, 2014 - 12:10 PM
PENTICTON — The Vees will be sticking around town after reaching a four-year contract agreement with the City to continue operations at the South Okanagan Events Centre.
The Vees contract extension ended last month and the two parties have been negotiating a deal since.
“We have a tremendous deal with both sides,” said Dean Clarke, general manager of the South Okanagan Events Centre.
“It’s a revenue sharing partnership,” he said.
Aside from the longer contract term, the biggest difference between this deal and the last is the change in revenue shares for the Vees. But it is one that is good for both sides and will ensure good hockey for the next four years, Clarke said.
Last season the Vees lowered ticket prices to make games more affordable, and they will continue to follow like-minded marketing strategies going forward.
Already 90 per cent of last season’s ticket holders have renewed their season passes for the 2014-2015 hockey season, said Fred Harbinson, president, general manager and head coach of the Vees
“What this deal does is it gives us a vision of where we’re going to be able to go,” said Harbinger, who has seen his share of venue changes in the seven years he’s been with the Vees.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Meaghan Archer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014