April 01, 2016 - 5:24 PM
VERNON - Precautions are being taken after a case of hand, foot and mouth virus was discovered at the Vernon pool.
Staff at the Vernon Recreation Centre are advising users who visited the Vernon Aquatic Centre on March 30 to 31 that extra precautions are being taken to prevent the spread of hand, foot and mouth virus. A child in swimming lessons was diagnosed as having the virus on Friday, April 1.
“Staff immediately contacted Interior Health Authority, who have assured the city that the chlorine levels at the Aquatic Centre are sufficient to kill the virus in the pool,” states a media release from the city. “Additionally, recreation services is taking the matter seriously and is taking extra steps to disinfect the pool area and change rooms beyond the normal disinfection that is completed daily in the facility.”
The virus can be spread through close personal contact such as kissing, or sharing drinking cups, forks, or spoons. It can also spread through droplets in the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. You can be infected by inhaling these droplets or touching objects contaminated with them.
If you have any concerns, contact Vernon Recreation Services by calling 250-545-6035 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on the virus, and symptoms to be aware of, can be found here.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston or call 250-309-5230 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016