Current Conditions

Drifting Snow
-2.9°C

The Latest: Opening statements in Patz case may be Wednesday

October 17, 2016 - 8:11 AM

NEW YORK - The Latest on a retrial in the disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz in 1979 (all times local):

11:10 a.m.

A New York City judge says opening statements are expected as soon as Wednesday in the retrial of a case that reshaped American parenting and the pursuit of missing children.

State Supreme Court Justice Maxwell Wiley discussed the timing of Pedro Hernandez's retrial on Monday.

The haunting missing-child case of Etan Patz (AY'-tahn payts) is about to get its second turn before a jury, 37 years after the first-grader vanished.

Another jury deadlocked last year.

Six-year-old Etan disappeared while heading to his school bus stop in 1979. He was one of the first missing children ever featured on a milk carton.

Hernandez worked at a corner store in Etan's neighbourhood but wasn't a suspect until police got a tip in 2012. He confessed, but his lawyers say he's mentally ill.

___

1 a.m.

The haunting missing-child case of Etan Patz (AY'-tahn PAYTS') is about to get its second turn before a jury, 37 years after the first-grader vanished in New York City.

Opening statements are expected this week in the murder retrial of suspect Pedro Hernandez. A jury deadlocked last year.

Six-year-old Etan disappeared while heading to his school bus stop in May 1979. He was one of the first missing children ever featured on a milk carton.

Hernandez worked at a corner store in Etan's neighbourhood but wasn't a suspect until police got a tip in 2012. He confessed, but his lawyers say his admissions were false and he's mentally ill.

Etan's father has said the first trial succeeded in providing long-sought answers for the family, if not in resolving the case.

News from © The Associated Press, 2016
The Associated Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile