October 06, 2016 - 2:55 PM
LOS ANGELES - The Latest on a 16-year-old boy shot and killed by Los Angeles police (all times local):
Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck says a 16-year-old boy was trying to commit suicide when he confronted police with a fake gun last weekend and was shot dead by an officer.
Beck says Thursday that Daniel Enrique Perez had called 911 Sunday to report a man with a gun in South Los Angeles and had left a farewell note to his parents.
Police have said officers sent to the area spotted a person matching the suspect's description and when they approached he pointed a gun at them.
The weapon turned out to be a replica with an orange tip that was painted black.
Beck says Perez also had an unspecified prior history that also leads investigators to believe he wanted to end his own life.
He also says the officer who shot Perez is devastated.
A person shot and killed by Los Angeles police after he pulled what turned out to be a fake gun has been identified as a 16-year-old boy.
The county coroner's office says Daniel Enrique Perez of Los Angeles died of multiple gunshot wounds Sunday.
Police say officers responding to a report of a man with a gun in South Los Angeles spotted someone matching the description and began to approach him when he turned and pointed a handgun at them.
The gun turned out to be a replica gun with an orange tip that had been painted black.
It was the weekend's second deadly Los Angeles police shooting.
Eighteen-year-old Carnell Snell Jr. was shot Saturday.
Police say he fled when they stopped a suspected stolen car and had a gun.
News from © The Associated Press, 2016