March 14, 2013 - 10:04 AM
UPDATE: March 14, 2013 - 10:31 a.m.
Penticton RCMP released an official statement about the bomb scare that was lifted at Penticton Health Centre moments ago.
According to their preliminary report, they were told the threat was made to the centre at about 8:35 a.m.
A woman allegedly called the health unit claiming a bomb was set to go off inside. Mounties rushed to the scene at 740 Carmi Ave. and evacuated the building and re-routed traffic. They then followed up on the call which led to the identification and location of the elderly woman who made the threat.
Sgt. Rick Dellebuur says the caller was disgruntled that an appointment had been changed and so she called and made the bomb threat.
A spokesperson for the Penticton Health Centre, Lisa Braman, says the unit employs approximately 160 people.
Mounties are following up on the incident and it's not known if charges will be laid. Operations at the health unit are returning to normal.
UPDATE: March 14, 2013 - 10:10 a.m.
The bomb threat alert has been lifted by police for the Penticton Health Centre so it's back to normal for workers and patients.
March 14, 2013 - 10:07 a.m.
A bomb threat has Penticton RCMP blocking off an area near the intersection of Government Street and Carmi Avenue in front of the Penticton Health Centre this hour.
Sgt. Rick Dellebuur who is on scene says the threat was phoned in to the health centre earlier today and police have been blocking the area for over an hour while they conduct their investigation.
Workers and patients have been prevented from entering the building and small groups of onlookers are waiting and watching on street corners. While some police cars have left the area, many remain, strategically parked to keep traffic at bay. There are no firetrucks or ambulances waiting at the location.
Rumours of the bomb threat began circulating almost immediately on Twitter.
Stay with Infotelnews.ca as this story develops.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013