October 29, 2013 - 9:40 AM
VERNON – Investigators are on the scene of a Vernon fire that destroyed the upper floor of half a duplex early Saturday morning.
The blaze erupted in the 3700 block of Commonage Crescent. The people living in both sides of the duplex got out safely.
“There is very extensive damage to the top floor of the duplex and the contents,” fire chief Jack Blair said. “There is smoke and water damage to the unit next door.”
Fire crews were able to go in and get the residents’ keys and wallets, but things like clothing and furniture were destroyed by the fire or smoke.
Emergency Social Services has found temporary housing for the residents in both units.
“It appears to be an accidental fire that started in the kitchen area.” Blair said.
The exact cause of the blaze isn't known. The invesigation continues.
Vernon firefighters also put out a small kitchen fire in the 4100 block of 20th Street Friday night.
To contact the reporter for this story, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-491-0331.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013