Tournament Capital Ranch Phase II
July 25, 2014 - 10:58 AM
Kamloops – In 2011, the city significantly enhanced the Tournament Capital Ranch lands north of Kamloops when it constructed the slo-pitch and rugby fields and partnered with the provincial government for the remediation of the soil to return it to agricultural production status.
Today, the city is considering future land uses as Phase 2 of the Tournament Capital Ranch project commences. The City’s Agriculture Area Plan identifies using a portion of the Tournament Capital Ranch lands to create an “Agricultural Centre of Excellence” to support sustainable farming.
As it considers these future land uses, the city invites feedback from residents. Some of the proposed uses include, but are not limited to:
- Agricultural trade show and event facility
- Multi-purpose exhibition centre (not limited to agriculture)
- Agricultural production area
- Destination water park
- Public trail along the North Thompson River including a park and picnic area
The city wants to hear from you. City council will be making its decision in the next few months on how the remaining Tournament Capital Ranch lands will be used. Council wants to ensure any community member who is interested has an opportunity to be informed and to provide input on what is being proposed and to offer additional ideas for future land uses. Your input will help inform council’s decision and the city’s application to the Agricultural Land Commission to approve the proposed land uses. Here’s where you can get more information and provide your thoughts and ideas:
- City website: www.kamloops.ca/tcr
- Farmers markets: City staff will be at the downtown farmer’s market on Wednesday, Aug. 6 and Saturday, Aug. 9
- Community open houses: City staff will be hosting two open houses on Thursday, Aug. 14: Tournament Capital Centre from 12-3 p.m. andTournament Capital Ranch from 5-7 p.m. in the plaza area
- Community survey: This survey will be available in hard copy at the farmer's market, open houses and on-line at www.kamloops.ca/tcr.
"This is an exciting time for the City of Kamloops. The Tournament Capital Ranch is well on its way to becoming a signature tourist attraction - highlighting recreation, sport, agriculture and business opportunities," commented Coun. Nelly Dever.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014