November 02, 2013 - 9:16 AM
TORONTO — Toronto’s deputy mayor says he hopes Rob Ford makes “the right decision” after a meeting today where he’ll relay concerns stemming from the latest accusations related to an alleged crack video.
Norm Kelly says concerns have been raised by councillors “from both sides of the spectrum” after police announced they had recovered a video that allegedly appears to show Ford smoking crack cocaine.
Kelly wouldn’t be specific but told reporters Friday they “already know the concerns.”
The deputy mayor says he hopes Ford will listen very carefully and look at the concerns “through the eyes of the people of Toronto, his colleagues on council and himself and his family.”
He would not elaborate on what decision Ford should make, saying it’s up to the mayor.
Kelly’s staff says the meeting with Ford will be private and no media update is expected until Monday.
How one video dragged Rob Ford into the dangerous world of gangsters
Toronto police Chief Bill Blair announced Thursday that police had found video images “which appear to be those images which were previously reported in the press.”
Police allege a friend of the mayor, Alexander Lisi, tried to get his hands on the video. He has been charged with extortion.
Ford said Thursday he could not comment because the matter is before the courts but said he sees “no reason to resign.”
After reports of the alleged video first surfaced in the Toronto Star and the U.S. website Gawker in May, the mayor said he does not use crack cocaine and that the video does not exist.
News from © The Canadian Press, 2013