Current Conditions

Light Snow
-6.5°C

Tire fire in vacant Penticton house accidentally set by homeless squatter

Penticton fire crews put out a small fire at a home on Wade Avenue, Thursday, Dec. 31, 2015.
Image Credit: Skyar Noe-Vack
January 05, 2016 - 7:30 PM

PENTICTON - A New Year’s Eve house fire in a vacant Wade Avenue building was not set deliberately, according to police.

The fire, first spotted around 4:15 p.m. on Dec. 31, was the result of a tire catching fire, RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Don Wrigglesworth says.

The tire was being used as a cooktop sitting on a table by a homeless person squatting in the basement of the house in the 500 block of Wade Avenue.

The fire caused considerable smoke but was extinguished before it could spread.

Police say no intent was involved but the woman, who is known to police, was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad at sarstad@infonews.ca or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile