Take advantage of the harvest this fall by attending some of these events
by Glynn Brothen
Workers at Davison Orchards have already got their fall decorations up. Among the creative pumpkins are a couple minions from Despicable Me.
(JENNIFER STAHN /InfoTel Multimedia)
October 03, 2014 - 7:24 PM
THOMPSON-OKANAGAN – Fall is upon us. The new season calls for pumpkin-inspired goodies, warmer coats, leaf raking, choosing the perfect turkey and finding the Halloween costume to help you win the contest. But the season also brings a bounty of fun events, most of which are family-friendly. Take a look and see what communities in the Okanagan are doing to keep you active for the next month.
-Tranquille Farm Fresh – The farm will have a series of events for the next month. You’ll find everything from pumpkin picking, corn maze, to tunnel tours of the Tranquille King Edward Sanitorium. Included in the tunnel tour this year is an acted out love story titled “The Tranquillian Soldier.”
Dates and pricing are available on the tranquille farm fresh website.
- Western Canada Theatre is presenting Driving Miss Daisy at the Sagebrush theatre. Tickets to the famed play are available at the Kamloops Box Office.
- Staff at the Kamloops Museum and Archives will host a Halloween craft session from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 11. Supplies will be provided.
- The B.C. Wildlife Park will host events both for Thanksgiving at Halloween. Children can enjoy a Thanksgiving teddy bear picnic and Halloween’s “Boo at the Zoo.” More information is available on the B.C. Wildlife Park website.
- The Old Courthouse will be hosting the Villain’s Ball. Attendees are welcome to come dressed up in their Halloween costume and watch a comedy show. It will be fun for the whole family.
- Check out the Haunted Tours put on by the Kamloops Museum to learn more about the city’s spookiest stories.
- The Okanagan Fall Wine Festival will help you pick out a tasty pairing for your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. If all else fails, there are always samples.
- Davison Orchards will host plenty of fall activities from pumpkin picking, to free family photos in the orchard, scarecrow-making. Of course, there are pumpkin-inspired treats to enjoy, too. Yum.
- Enjoy Harvest Fest this Thanksgiving at the Vernon Farmer’s Market. Learn how to decorate with squash and enjoy some of your favourite items from local artisans.
- Attend Family Daze at the historic O’Keefe Ranch and get lost in the corn maze. The ranch will also host “Field of Screams” at the corn maze, which is warned as unsuitable for children.
- The Halloween Treat Trail will happen Oct. 31. Kids 12 and under are invited to go trick-or-treating at businesses downtown.
- The Uptown Rutland Business Association is hosting a scarecrow festival the first weekend of October.
- Learn to paint some of the fall foliage, or a subject of your choice, and get professional instruction while you put your brush to work.
- Check out the fall harvest at the Gellatly Nut Farm. Purchase a variety of nuts, stroll the orchard and partake in the Spooktacular Pumpkin Walk.
- The Bumbershoot Children’s theatre will present Hansel and Gretel this month. It will be fun for the whole family.
- Attend the Haunted Howler Comedy Fest at the Kelowna Community Theatre. The adult party will feature a costume contest, drinks, a live DJ and a haunted house.
- Get your creep on. Take part in a Zombie Walk downtown.
- Gear up for the fifth annual Penticton Oktoberfest at the convention centre. Guests will have the chance to enjoy German music, a hearty meal and, of course, beer!
- The Doobie Brothers are coming to the South Okanagan Events Centre Oct. 27. Tickets are available at the Valley First box office.
- Take a valley-wide wine tour in one place. The Valley First Grand Finale Consumer tastings event will feature live entertainment, breads, gourmet cheese and several different wines to try.
To contact a reporter for this story, email email@example.com, or call 250-319-7494. To contact the editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014