January 23, 2014 - 12:41 PM
SUMMERLAND - A fish tank fire is suspected to have been put out by its own water supply when the tank broke open according to the Summerland Fire Department.
Firefighters attended a smoke-filled home on Cartwright Avenue earlier this morning to find a family of four standing outside. Assistant fire chief George Pugh said one of the fish tank's electrical mechanism had started to burn. The condition of the tank's sole fish is unknown but the tank's electrical parts were melted.
Pugh said the fire was isolated to the one spot in the home. He also said a burning fish tank is a new one for him.
"It's not very common. That's the first for me I've ever come across," he explained.
No one was injured but one of the adults was looked at by emergency health services. The home's four occupants were briefly allowed back in to fetch personal belongings once the smoke was cleared out. It is not known when they will be allowed back inside.
The Summerland firefighters were kept busy yesterday as well with two calls for service.
At 11:23 a.m. on Wednesday a fire broke out due to an electrical problem at an attached workshop on Prairie Valley Road. Pugh said a resident knocked the flames down with an extinguisher. No one was hurt and no one had to leave the home.
Later on Wednesday, firefighters were again called out, this time for a chimney fire on Ward Street. There was no damage to the home and the smoke was cleared out Pugh said.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Shannon Quesnel at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 250-488-3065 or tweet @InfoNewsPentict.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014