April 19, 2015 - 11:00 AM
KELOWNA – It was likely a discarded cigarette butt, which sparked a small grass fire on a trail Glenmore this morning.
Kelowna firefighters were called to the walking and biking trail behind the house at 343 Whitman Rd. at around 9:54 a.m., April 19.
Captain Tim Hill says the fire, close to a backyard fence, was pretty much out when his crew arrived.
Residents using a garden hose and shovels had kept the fire at bay.
Firefighters helped mop up and make sure there were no hot spots.
“We’re having a very, very dry spring, so we need everybody to make sure they take care when they’re out for a walk,” Hill says. “Don’t discard cigarettes in an improper manner.
A small grass fire in Brant's Creek Linear Park behind the house at 353 Whitman Road was mostly put out by residents with a garden hose and shovels Sunday morning, April 19, 2015.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Howard Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-491-0331. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015