Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
-6.3°C

Small fire at Kelowna high-rise sparks evacuation

FILE PHOTO
January 02, 2016 - 3:39 PM

KELOWNA - Fire crews were called to small blaze in a suite on the eighth floor of a Kelowna high-rise this morning and arrived to find the fire was out.

Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at the Conservatory in the 700-block of Glenmore Road around 11:12 a.m., Jan. 2., which turned out to be a small dryer fire in one of the units on the eighth floor, according to a media release.

“The fire had been extinguished by the occupant of the suite,” Platoon Capt. Tim Light says in the release. “Fire crews checked for extension and then ventilated the fire floor hallway and the involved suite.”

Firefighters also made sure there was not build up of carbon monoxide as a result of the ventilation, then let the evacuated residents back into the building.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Howard Alexander at halexander@infonews.ca. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile