Current Conditions

Light Rain

Sloppy highways for start of long weekend

The Okanagan Connector has already seen five centimetres of snow and more is expected this morning.
Image Credit: Drive B.C. webcam
April 18, 2014 - 7:57 AM

THOMPSON-OKANAGAN — While Mother Nature has not dumped as much snow as anticipated by this morning, you can still expect slushy sections and the threat of more snow.

As much as 15 cm was expected on mountain passes by this morning, though as of 6 a.m. only 2-5 cm was recorded in most areas. That was enough to leave highways with compact snow as well as slushy and slippery sections.

Now Environment Canada says the Pacific cold front will continue to move across the Southern Interior as it aims for Alberta by this afternoon. Heavy snow is expected in some areas with the snow level lowering to 900 m across the region. Five centimetres is expected today though as much as 10 cm is expected at Kootenay Pass.

Strong winds are also expected across much of the region, which will contribute to local blowing snow and poor visibility.

In Kamloops, showers and wind are expected this morning though the rest of the weekend should be partly cloudy with highs of 14 C. In Vernon there is also a risk of a thunderstorm this morning and then a 60 per cent chance of showers later Saturday afternoon and evening with highs of 12-14 C this weekend.

In Kelowna expect a 60 per cent chance of showers this morning and again late afternoon and evening Saturday while Penticton faces just a 40 per cent chance of showers this morning and a 60 per cent chance Saturday afternoon and evening. Saturday could also see a thunderstorm in that area. Highs of 12-14 C in both cities are expected throughout the weekend.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Jennifer Stahn at or call 250-819-3723. To contact an editor for this story, email or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
  • Warnings about fentanyl-laced marijuana in the Southern Interior
    THOMPSON-OKANAGAN – Fentanyl is being mixed with marijuana here in the Southern Interior, leading the Kamloops ASK Wellness Society to be even more concerned about the rise of deaths related
  • Kelowna Conservation Officers save large buck tangled in volleyball net
    KELOWNA - Conservation Officers reportedly came to the rescue of a large buck that was entangled in a volleyball net, according to a Facebook post by the Conservation Officer Service "D
  • Kamloops senior almost swindled out of $4,800
    KAMLOOPS - Yesterday, a Kamloops senior had a close call with a pair of brazen scam artists. Staff Sgt. Edward Preto says in a release that yesterday, Oct. 21, an elderly woman received a ph
  • Saying goodbye to Kelowna’s perogy king
    KELOWNA – Whether you knew him from the slopes of Big White or his restaurant in downtown Kelowna, you never forgot the first time you tried Cecil’s perogies. Cecil Warwaruk move
  • Crews respond to fire at Kelowna casino
    KELOWNA - This morning, firefighters responded to a minor fire at Chances on Springfield Road. According to a release issued by Dennis Miller of the Kelowna Fire Department, crews received a

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile