April 09, 2013 - 7:02 AM
Sentencing for a Penticton man found guilty of selling his stepdaughter for sex and sexually assaulting her will start on April 15.
The man cannot be identified because of a publication ban to protect the teenage girl. He was charged and found guilty of three counts of sexual assault, sexual interference with a person under 14, sexual interference of a person under 16, two counts of living on profits of prostitution under 18, sexual exploitation, parent or guardian procuring sexual activity and aiding a person to prostitute.
Crown lawyer Deb Drissell asked for the man to appear in person. When asked why by defence lawyer James Pennington, she said "it's more meaningful," if the stepfather appeared in Penticton court to hear his sentence.
Judge Greg Korturbash said the stepfather could appear via video on April 15.
"Technology has come so far it gives people a virtual presence in the courtroom," Korturbash explained. If video equipment cannot be booked then the stepfather is to appear in person.
Sentencing is booked for 9:30 am and is expected to last half a day.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Shannon Quesnel at email@example.com or call 250-488-3065.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013