Current Conditions


Search underway for crew member who went overboard cruise ship off Newfoundland

FILE -- The transatlantic ocean liner Queen Mary II sails from Halifax harbour near Portugese Cove, N.S. on Sunday, Oct.20, 2013. A search was underway off Newfoundland on Saturday for a crew member from a cruise ship.
Image Credit: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
August 16, 2015 - 8:30 AM

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - A search was underway off Newfoundland on Saturday for a crew member from a cruise ship.

Search and rescue officials said the 26-year-old man did not report for duty onboard the Queen Mary 2 early Saturday just after midnight.

They said a search was conducted onboard the ship and when the man wasn't found, search and rescue officials were asked to look for the man, who is believed to have gone overboard.

The Queen Mary 2 and the shipping container Milan Express are searching for the man in an area roughly 750 kilometres east of St. John's, N.L.

Search and rescue officials said because of foggy conditions, an aerial search is not possible.

The cruise line, Cunard, says the ship has turned around to retrace its voyage to search for the missing man, but fog is also hampering those efforts.

“We have clearly established that the crew member went overboard earlier this morning,” Cunard said in a statement Saturday.

Cunard did not provide details of the incident but says it is working closely with local authorities.

The Queen Mary 2, Cunard’s flagship, was travelling from Southampton to New York and was due to stop in Halifax on Monday.

Christened in 2004, the ship is 345 metres long, has 19 decks and carries 2,620 passengers.

Described by Cunard as "wonderfully grand," the ship boasts the largest dance floor at sea, a luxurious 3D cinema, a planetarium and a classical music venue.

— With files from the Associated Press

News from © The Canadian Press, 2015
The Canadian Press

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile