July 07, 2015 - 2:09 PM
KAMLOOPS - The cause of a fire that left one unit uninhabitable at an apartment building on Whiteshield Crescent South remains unknown, but an assistant fire chief says it’s ‘remarkable’ they were able to save the building given its construction.
“It’s low end (damage) compared to what it could have been,” Dave McMahon of Kamloops Fire Rescue says. “We’re happy and proud of what we were able to do under the circumstances."
The fire, which started on the deck of the apartment in the early morning of July 5, quickly spread before firefighters knocked it down. McMahon says investigators determined where the fire originated, but couldn’t pinpoint what the ignition source was.
While there were no injuries, McMahon says residents on the upper floors of the 800 block of Woodlane Manor won’t be able to return for a couple of months while insurers repair the roof. Other units have some smoke damage, along with broken doors from firefighters. The people living in the now-destroyed unit left with only the shirts on their backs, he says.
“It’s a traumatic thing. But there’s no injuries and that’s the main thing,” McMahon says. “The rest can be rebuilt."
Residents on the lower floors might be able to return in the next few days.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Glynn Brothen at email@example.com, or call 250-319-7494. To contact the editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015