August 19, 2014 - 8:29 AM
VANCOUVER - A wildfire evacuation order has been lifted for nearly 20 homes near the northern B.C. community of Houston.
The China Nose Fire was sparked by lightning, grew to about 37 square kilometres and forced the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako to issue an evacuation order late last week to about 120 homes.
Regional district spokeswoman Rosanna von Sacken says that thanks to controlled burns by firefighters and better weather, the evacuation order has been downgraded to a less-serious evacuation alert for about 19 homes.
Officials are asking residents who are living near the community located about 300 kilometres west of Prince George, B.C., to remain vigilant because fire behaviour can change at any time.
The Cariboo Regional District has also rescinded an evacuation order issued Aug. 12 for nine homes near a wildfire in the Alexis Creek area.
The Wildfire Management Branch says as many as 163 firefighters, 15 helicopters and 37 pieces of heavy equipment have been used to battle the flames.
News from © The Canadian Press, 2014