January 28, 2014 - 10:46 AM
The 2013 edition of the Regional District Annual Review has been released. It outlines the activities and programs that are planned by the Regional District of Central Okanagan for the year ahead and highlights the accomplishments made during 2013.
Communications Officer Bruce Smith says, “The 33-page colour publication is a primer for anyone interested in what the Regional District form of government is all about in the Central Okanagan. It’s an excellent overview of all the activities, programs and services provided across the region as the local government for our two electoral areas and a service provider for our member municipalities of Kelowna, Lake Country, Peachland and West Kelowna.”
Some of the initiatives planned for 2014 include:
- Spring roll out for expanded recycling with many new materials included in the curbside and depot recycling program.
- Parks Services celebrations mark the 40th anniversary of Regional Parks and the 20th anniversary of the Environmental Education Centre for the Okanagan EECO in Mission Creek Regional Park.
- Over $675,000 in Federal Gas Tax funding for water and fire service upgrades in the Central Okanagan East and Central Okanagan West Electoral Areas.
- Adoption of the new Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw.
- Elections for electoral area directors in the fall.
Among the 2013 highlights found in the Annual Review:
The Regional Waste Reduction Office saw more than 4,000 pieces of furniture and old mattresses deconstructed and recycled rather than taking up landfill space. This program contributed to an increase in revenue from scrap metal.
Information Services received the ESRI 2013 Award of Excellence for the detailed GIS mapping function for evacuation orders and alerts on the Regional Emergency Program www.cordemergency.ca website.
The Economic Development Commission ‘Business Walks’ program received the Community Project of the Year award from the Economic Development Association of British Columbia.
Victim Services hosted the 28th annual Police Victim Services of British Columbia training symposium for more than 300 delegates.
The Annual Review is available online at regionaldistrict.com or printed copies may be picked up at the 1450 KLO Road office in Kelowna.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014