Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
-6.0°C

Quality cookware helps avert greater damage during Kelowna kitchen fire

February 02, 2016 - 1:37 PM

CENTRAL OKANAGAN - Food left cooking in a cast iron pan brought firefighters to a house on Altura Road earlier this morning.

Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain Eric Simpson said crews were dispatched after reports of smoke coming from the front door of the house.

“A person in the basement tried to make entrance but the smoke was too heavy,” Simpson said.

Once crews got inside they discovered the source — thick smoke billowing from food left cooking in a cast iron pan.

“They had been gone for a while. They’re lucky they were using a pot that could handle it. If they had been using a cheap pot, it could have melted and it could have been a lot bigger fire.”

Simpson said residents shouldn’t count on such a happy ending.

“This obviously isn’t the first time we’ve been called in for a cooking fire. We would like to remind the public to make sure all cooking appliances are turned off before leaving the house,” he added.

To contact the reporter for this story, email John McDonald at jmcdonald@infonews.ca or call 250-808-0143. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile