March 26, 2014 - 11:42 AM
WEST KELOWNA - Phase 1 upgrades have started at Marjorie Pritchard Memorial Park and the green space will be closed for construction to ensure improvements are finished by the end of June, in time for peak summer use.
Council has awarded a $352,736 contract to Arterra Construction Ltd to complete Pritchard Park Improvements – Phase 1 before June 30, 2014. Upgrades will include:
- Curb, gutter and sidewalk fronting the park along Prichard Drive
- Formalized parking with wider than standard stalls for easier access into vehicles
- Irrigated landscaping including new trees and shrubs
- Six foot wrought iron fencing
- Storm sewers and water main upgrades
- Turnaround/drop off zone along the park frontage
- Vegetative buffers between the park and adjacent residences
The District expanded the park in August 2011. In preparation for Phase 1 improvements, a residence and swimming pool were removed in summer 2012 and required dock upgrades were completed in summer 2013. In December 2013, existing trees and shrubs were removed to improve park sightlines and accommodate new tree and shrub plantings identified in Phase 1 Improvements. Recommended park upgrades are outlined in the Marjorie Pritchard Memorial Park Plan, which Council adopted on March 13, 2012.
Marjorie Pritchard Memorial Park is a popular recreational destination for swimming, playing beach volleyball and lawn games and picnicking. The District of West Kelowna also hosts recreational programs in the park including free Parks Play Days for children in the summer.
For more information on Pritchard Park, the park plan and Phase 1 Improvements, please visit www.districtofwestkelowna.ca and select In the Works.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014