Playing with matches claimed Oliver boy’s life

Playing with matches was the cause of a motorhome fire in Oliver on Aug. 28, 2013 which claimed the life of Cody O'Conner, 8.
Image Credit: Global Okanagan (with permission)

OLIVER – The death of an 8-year-old Oliver boy in a motorhome fire in August of 2013 was accidental, according to the B.C. Coroners Service.

Cody O’Conner died from smoke inhalation and the resulting brain injury, coroner Jed Maddock said in his report.

The fire started at the base of a couch behind the driver’s seat and was likely caused by matches, according to Global Okanagan. O’Conner had been seen previously using matches to light a paper cup on fire at the kitchen table inside the motorhome.

The boy was pulled from the burning camper at the Centennial RV Park on Fairview Road on Aug. 28, 2013 by the town’s off-duty fire chief Dan Skaros. He had followed the smell of smoke, smashed out the rear window and grabbed the boy.

Along with smoke inhalation, O’Conner suffered burns to 40 percent of his body. He died Friday, Sept. 13, 2013 at Canuck Place Children's Hospice after he was taken of life support.

An RV park employee said Cody's mother, Amanda, was living in the trailer at the time. She was also an employee at the park and, according to the coroner, was checking on the boy regularly.

The boy’s death had an emotional impact on the community, especially at the school he attended.

The coroner’s report didn’t include any recommendations.

Cody O'Conner, 8, died at a children's hospice in Vancouver after he was taken off life support. He has suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation in a camper fire in Oliver on Aug. 28, 2013.
Cody O'Conner, 8, died at a children's hospice in Vancouver after he was taken off life support. He has suffered severe burns and smoke inhalation in a camper fire in Oliver on Aug. 28, 2013.
Image Credit: Contributed/sharespring.ca

To contact the reporter for this story, email Meaghan Archer at marcher@infonews.ca or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


Dianna Gallagher (left) and Shar Froese discuss the mat Froese just gave Gallagher and challenges living on the street.
How a practical home-made gift is making nights a little easier for a homeless Kamloops woman
KAMLOOPS - Living on the streets of Kamloops for two months now, Diana Gallagher and her dog Rocky have been sleeping rough, in doorways, on cardboard and in shelters when she can swing it. And while it's not much, her situation just improved

Top News