Pest control effort results in Oliver fire

Image Credit: FILE PHOTO

PENTICTON - An Oliver resident's attempt to rid his property of a wasp's nest resulted in a shed fire in the community last night.

Oliver Fire Department spokesperson Rob Graham says the department was called to a residence on Bullrush Road at around 11:40 p.m., Aug. 25.

“We had several reports of a structure fire, arriving on scene to find a shed ablaze. We knocked the flames down as best we could, but had to wait for Fortis as there was still live power to the shed,” he says.

The shed was destroyed, but nearby buildings were spared from damage, Graham says.

Cause of the fire is believed to have been from the homeowner’s efforts earlier in the day to burn a nearby wasp’s nest located in some nearby timber. The fire continued smouldering until it reignited later in the evening.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


letters-to-the-editor
THOMPSON: Two men and the fragility of human life
  OPINION Two men. One, I knew. The other, I never met. While neither realized it, they made me think about the fragility of human life, and how one bad decision can ruin everything. That is why I wrote what you are now

Top News