March 27, 2014 - 4:05 PM
LAKE COUNTRY – Thanks in large part to a petition signed by a number of concerned citizens, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is taking another look at the Pelmewash Parkway.
The petition, which was signed by 42 people, was received by the Ministry in early March.
Lake Country Director of Engineering Michael Mercer says his office was also notified and a summary has been sent to council.
“There were concerns by motorists merging on and off Pelmewash,” he says. “The Ministry had been aware of it and are working toward solutions. The petition basically looks at the concerns with the speeds and merging along the south end of the Parkway. There was a sightline issue too, and a berm that is going to be removed at the end of April.”
Mercer says that the Ministry told him there is really only a problem for motorists travelling above the posted speed limit.
“If vehicles are doing the speed limit then there shouldn’t be a problem,” he says, adding there’s the reality of how traffic flows and the Ministry is committed to making sure the parkway is as safe as possible.
“I’m not saying it wasn’t safe before but they are putting more signage up and making sure drivers are aware that there is a change in traffic pattern ahead.”
Mercer says the signs were already ordered at the time of their meeting earlier this month and are scheduled for installation by end of April.
The four lane Pelmewash Parkway opened to traffic Aug. 16, 2014.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at email@example.com or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014