July 24, 2013 - 11:51 AM
Public access to City Park will be restricted during the B.C. Day long weekend from Friday, Aug. 2 through Sunday, Aug. 4 for Center of Gravity. The public washrooms, water park, skateboard park, tennis courts and a portion of Hot Sands Beach will remain open and accessible to the public.
Concerts will end nightly at 11 p.m.
Additional closures and restrictions will be in place to accommodate the event:
* Beach volleyball courts, basketball court, sports field and a portion of Hot Sands Beach at City Park
- Full closure from July 31 to Aug. 5
* City Park lakefront promenade (south end)
- Walkway within the event site will be closed to the public from July 31 to Aug. 5. Pedestrians are asked to detour around the event using the walkway which runs from the park tunnel, along the south end of the park to Abbott Street. (See detour map link below).
* City Park parking lot
- Partial closure from July 29-31 and on Aug. 6
- Full closure from Aug. 1-5
- Alternate parking available at the Chapman Parkade on Lawrence Avenue
* Abbott Street on-street parking between Bernard Avenue and Leon Avenue
- Restricted parking on the west side of Abbott Street from Aug. 2-4 to accommodate tour and shuttle bus service for the event.
* Abbott Street between Bernard Avenue and Leon Avenue, and Bernard Avenue between Abbott Street and Water Street
- Nightly road closure from Aug. 2-4 from 9:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. to accommodate tickets holders exiting City Park. RCMP will be on site to manage traffic flow.
The City of Kelowna, along with event organizers, will have staff scheduled to keep City Park and downtown clean throughout the long weekend. Help keep our community clean by depositing waste and recycling in the nearest provided receptacle.
Event information: centerofgravity.ca
For more information on road closures, visit kelowna.ca/roadreport.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013