Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
-2.1°C

Oliver firefighter urges caution after accidental grass fire

Oliver firefighters were called to put out a grass fire near Seacrest Road, north of the town yesterday evening, Aug. 15, 2016.
Image Credit: Oliver Fire Department Facebook photo
August 16, 2016 - 4:38 PM

PENTICTON - A grass fire near Oliver yesterday evening has firefighters issuing a note of caution to South Okanagan residents.

Oliver Fire Department spokesperson Rob Graham says a grass fire was ignited near Seacrest Road around 8 p.m, Aug. 15, when an orchardist set off a bird scare device.

The spent cartridge landed in dry grass, igniting a fire that Graham says began moving up a hillside.

“It wasn’t really aggressive, but we did want to jump on it nonetheless,” he says.

“The fire danger is at level four, which is moderate to high,” Graham says, adding the department has had a fire ban in place most of the season.

“For farmers using bird scare guns, it might be handy to have a few gallons of water on hand,” Graham suggests, noting the scare devices are cartridges fired from a gun, that make a loud banging sound. The cartridges can still be smouldering when they hit the ground.

“Sometimes they’ll sit for a bit, other times they’ll result in a fire right away,” he says.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile