Oliver family feels marijuana-laced baked goods to blame for sick dog

An Oliver family is looking for help to pay a vet's bill after the family dog became ill Sunday, Nov. 1.
Image Credit: GoFundMe

OLIVER - A family pet needed emergency care after ingesting enough marijuana to cause THC toxicity this past weekend, leaving his Oliver family to believe a Halloween prank is to blame.

Faith Speed started 'Rangers Medical Support Fund' after her dog got sick this past weekend, which she believes was caused when someone left something in the yard.

“The dog was fine early on Nov. 1. We went to a birthday party and when we returned the gate was open and Ranger was in the yard, but could barely walk,” Speed says.

She couldn’t get the six-year-old springer spaniel to play, and his walk appeared unnatural. She took the dog to Rose Valley Veterinary Clinic in West Kelowna, where the dog was diagnosed with THC toxicity.

“It’s the active ingredient in marijuana. For him to have had that much, he would have had to ingest it,” she says.

She feels the dog was possibly fed baked goods with marijuana in them.

The family picked up Ranger from the vet on Tuesday afternoon, Nov. 3. and the dog appears to be recovering well.

Speed has reported the incident to RCMP.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad at sarstad@infonews.ca or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


Frederick Lee was born in Kamloops and volunteered to fight in WWI.
Kamloops' lost son: The mystery of WWI soldier Frederick Lee
Officials want to honour a 21-year-old Kamloops man who fought and died in what many call a pivotal WWI battle. A Chinese-Canadian soldier named Frederick Lee survived the Battle of Vimy Ridge but was killed in the Battle of Hill 70. Now, o

Top News