October 04, 2016 - 8:54 AM
HANOVER, N.H. - In a story Oct. 3 about a Dartmouth College dorm fire, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the dorm's 300 residents escaped without injuries. The number referred to the total number of residents in a cluster of dormitories, not just the one with the fire.
A corrected version of the story is below:
Investigators: Hibachi grill caused Dartmouth dorm fire
The state Fire Marshal's Office says an unattended hibachi-style grill used by students sparked a blaze at a Dartmouth College dormitory over the weekend
The New Hampshire Fire Marshal's Office says an unattended hibachi-style grill used by students sparked a blaze at a Dartmouth College dormitory over the weekend.
The fire broke out shortly after midnight Saturday at Morton Hall. Crews battled the flames for about six hours.
Investigators said Sunday the charcoal grill had been left unattended at the time of the fire.
Officials say all of the dorm's 70 residents escaped without injuries and now need new housing. A total of more than 300 were made to leave a cluster of dorms.
Two Hanover firefighters sustained minor injuries.
The school's website says charcoal grills are among items not allowed in student dorm rooms.
The investigation continues.
News from © The Associated Press, 2016