New Year’s Eve house fire quickly extinguished

Image Credit:

KELOWNA – A patio heater was the cause of a small house fire in Kelowna's Mission neighbourhood on New Year’s Eve.

Fire crews were called around 6:20 p.m. Wednesday night about the smell of smoke coming from an outside wall at a home at 989 Westpoint Dr.

Turns out a portable natural gas patio heater was too close to an outside wall on the deck and the heat had started the wall on fire.

Fire fighters quickly put out the small blaze.

The home owners were home at the time of the fire. No one was hurt.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Howard Alexander at or call 250-491-0331. To contact the editor, email or call 250-718-2724.

CANNINGS: On rural municipalities, young people, and a national carbon tax
  OPINION Editor, In my last column, I discussed some of the issues we heard about at House Finance Committee hearings.  I’d like to mention a few more of the thought-provoking ideas discussed on the se

Top News