September 09, 2013 - 6:16 PM
KAMLOOPS - Kamloops' new top cop says he isn't going to wear a recent string of controversies surrounding the Kamloops detachment. Insp. Brad Mueller, 47, said in his first press conference as Officer in Charge of the Kamloops detachment today he is moving forward.
"I don't plan on really moving backwards," Mueller said. "If there are some issues we need to deal with, and I understand there are, we will."
It's good timing for a fresh face at the top. Former chief of police, Yves Lacasse, quit the force earlier this year, after accepting a job in external affairs for the controversial Ajax Mine project proposed in Kamloops. While he was chief, several officers faced charges and more failed to intervene when two women were seen having sex in a jail cell in August 2010.
A public investigation by the Commission for Complaints Against the RCMP brought the allegations to light.
Mueller is not intimidated by the jump from Manitoba to the Tournament Capital.
"The principles of policing are wide-scale, and it's just a case of applying them to the appropriate level," he said. "It's just going to take me a bit of time."
Mueller moved to Kamloops with his wife after 25 years experience in the RCMP in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. He has primarily worked in operational policing, last posted in Manitoba as the assistant district officer of the west district.
"I was in charge of 35 detachments within our district and was responsible for overseeing the operations and administrative functions that go with those," he said.
He said it will take about six months to get a 'good feel' for the detachment. He plans on meeting with unit heads to identify what is and isn't working.
"I certainly don't plan on making any big changes," he said.
To contact a reporter for this story, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, call: (250) 319-7494 or tweet: @jess__wallace.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013