Kuwaiti media says 2 Iranians freed after mistaken arrest
October 11, 2016 - 11:57 PM
KUWAIT CITY - Kuwaiti media is reporting two Iranians mistakenly arrested after taking "suspicious" photographs of Shiite congregation halls have been freed.
The reports Wednesday said the two had valid visas to live in Kuwait and described their arrests as a precautionary measure.
Their arrests last week came ahead of the Shiite commemoration of Ashoura, which marks the death of Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad, at the Battle of Karbala in present-day Iraq in the 7th century.
Tiny, largely peaceful Kuwait has increased security recently, worried about militant attacks.
An Islamic State-claimed suicide bombing in 2015 in Kuwait City killed 27 people and wounded scores. On Saturday, an Egyptian who allegedly pledged support to the Islamic State group rammed a garbage truck into a vehicle carrying U.S. soldiers, injuring only himself.
News from © The Associated Press, 2016