November 15, 2013 - 4:43 PM
PENTICTON - Extremely tiny chlorine leaks at the Penticton Community Centre prompted two evacuations early Thursday morning.
Pool users were wrapped in blankets and escorted to the Memorial Arena after an alarm sounded just before 7:45 a.m. a building official said.
Maintenance staff were working on the chlorine system used to disinfect the pool when a sensitive sensor detected chlorine particles. No one was exposed to the substance and no injuries were reported.
Unfortunately, after the first alarm sounded a second alarm went off just before 9:52 a.m. The building official said the alarm detected trace amounts of chlorine still present in the air after some of the maintenance was completed.
Deputy fire chief Dave Spalding said tiny chlorine amounts, as small as one-part-per-million, can trip the alarm. Firefighters responded and waited near the pool as a safety measure only.
To contact a reporter for this story, to send photos or videos, email Shannon Quesnel at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 250-488-3065, send tweets to @shannonquesnel1 or @InfoNewsPentict. You can also check out Shannon Quesnel or Infotel News on Facebook.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013