Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

Makeshift homeless shelter in Kelowna catches fire, scorches building

A large, temporary shelter was destroyed by fire Monday morning.
Image Credit: Global Okanagan (with permission)
November 30, 2015 - 3:26 PM

KELOWNA – A candle in a makeshift homeless shelter is the likely cause of a fire that damaged a commercial building early this morning.

At around 6:50 a.m., Nov. 30, as the temperature in Kelowna dropped below -6 Celsius, local firefighters were called to the temporary structure in an alley behind a commercial building on Leon Avenue.

Platoon Captain Eric Simpson says they found a shelter made of wooden pallets engulfed in flames. A shopping cart and a large number of personal belongings were also destroyed.

A passerby told firefighters only one man was staying there and that he has been using it to stay warm for the last several nights.

“There were some personal belongings but we think it was used as a homeless shelter because of what the passerby told (firefighters),” Simpson says. “It looks like (it was started by) a candle possibly to keep warm but there was no one at the scene to interview.”

The fire destroyed the shelter but damage to the commercial building was minor.

Image Credit: Global Okanagan (with permission)

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile