May 05, 2016 - 8:13 AM
VERNON - A house was struck by lightning yesterday evening in Vernon, and the local fire chief says it’s not as unusual as you might think.
The Vernon Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire in the 3200 block of Crosby Road just after 7:30 p.m. yesterday, May 4, after lightning struck the home’s chimney.
Deputy fire chief Jack Blair says it looks like a metal cap on top of the chimney attracted the bolt of lightning.
“It went down the chimney and then travelled throughout the house and did some damage to the electrical system,” Blair says. “It blew a switch plate right off the wall and also caused some scorching to an exterior plug.”
The homeowners were out of town and neighbours were looking after the place, Blair says. No one was hurt, and the damage isn’t considered major.
“It actually happens quite often. I don’t have the statistics in front of me, but it is kind of common for houses to get hit,” Blair says.
He says some areas, like Bella Vista where this house was hit, seem to be more prone to lightning strikes.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston or call 250-309-5230 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016