July 03, 2015 - 6:00 PM
LAKE COUNTRY - Residents of Winfield, Carr’s Landing and Okanagan Centre will benefit from updated water meters thanks to joint funding from the governments of Canada and British Columbia through the Small Communities Fund.
The backflow prevention devices on agricultural connections being installed in these Lake Country communities will help protect the water system from contamination. This project requires updating approximately 200 water meters with new ones. The new meters will also help the region monitor water usage and identify opportunities to assure the long-term sustainability of the water supply for the area.
The project is among those recently approved in British Columbia that will collectively receive more than $42 million in joint federal-provincial funding under the Small Communities Fund. These projects represent important investments in municipal infrastructure that maintain safe, healthy communities. Once complete, the work will significantly improve key municipal services for residents and help boost regional development.
Through the Small Communities Fund, the governments of Canada and British Columbia are working in partnership to provide funding for priority public infrastructure projects that deliver on local needs in communities across the province that have fewer than 100,000 residents. These investments support job creation and economic growth, thus sustaining a high quality of life in small communities across British Columbia for years to come.
- The Government of Canada will provide up to $394,018 through the Small Communities Fund for the project.
- The Province of British Columbia will contribute $394,018 to this project.
- Lake Country will be responsible for all remaining costs of the project.
- The total estimated cost for this project is $1,182,056.
- Of the 21 projects approved for funding in British Columbia so far, 11 are drinking water projects, nine are wastewater projects, and one is a brownfield remediation project. Additional projects are under review and could also soon be approved.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015