Kitchen fire evacuates Kelowna apartment building

A fire in an oven forced the evacuation of an apartment building in downtown Kelowna, Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015.
Image Credit: Global Okanagan/Kelby DeLaet (with permission)

KELOWNA – A kitchen fire, which started in the oven, forced the evacuation of an apartment building in downtown Kelowna yesterday afternoon.

Kelowna Fire Department platoon Capt. Steve Wallick says crews were called to the building 18-unit building in the 700-block of Bernard Avenue, just east of Richter Street, at about 4:25 p.m., Oct. 11, about a report of smoke in the hallway. Firefighters found a blaze in the kitchen of one of the suites.

“All occupants of the building had evacuated and the fire was extinguished by the fire department,” Wallick says in a media release. “There were no injuries.”

He says the fire was accidently caused when “items were left unattended in an oven.”

Everyone in the building, with the exception of the two residents of the unit with the kitchen fire, was allowed back into their homes.

Approximate location of a kitchen fire in the 700-block of Bernard Avenue in Kelowna, Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Howard Alexander at halexander@infonews.ca. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


don-thompson
THOMPSON: So much of the artwork stolen during Second World War is still missing
  OPINION The human pain and suffering at the hands of Nazis - while well documented - is truly incalculable. Even 72 years after Hitler put a bullet in his own head, the depth and breadth of Nazi hatred and cruelty rem

Top News