Kelowna Wine Country Half Marathon road closure and parking restrictions
Howard Alexander - News Editor
Image Credit: Contributed
September 04, 2015 - 7:30 AM
KELOWNA - On Sunday, Sept. 6 the Kelowna Wine Country Half Marathon will be taking place.
The 21.1 kilometre race will start at 7 a.m. at The Vibrant Vine Winery on Pooley Road and make its way through East Kelowna, Lower Mission, South Kelowna, City Park and Waterfront Park.
To accommodate the event, parking restrictions, road and lane closures will be in place leading up to and during the event.
- The Water Street Boat Launch parking lot will be closed to the public from Saturday, Sept. 5 at 1 p.m. – Sunday, Sept. 6 at 3 p.m. to accommodate event set up, parking and runners approaching the finish line.
- The Dolphins parking lot will be closed to the public from Saturday at 8 am – Sunday at 1 p.m. The parking lot will only be accessible to permitted monthly parkers during this time.
- The East Kelowna parking lot will be closed on Sunday, Sept. 6 from 4:30 a.m. until 12 p.m.
- On-street parking on Water Street from Sunset Drive to Cawston Avenue will be restricted on Sunday, Sept. 6 from 4:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. to accommodate shuttle buses transporting race participants. Vehicles parked along Water Street during this time will be courtesy towed to the City Hall parking lot located on the corner of Ellis Street and Doyle Avenue.
- On-street parking will also be restricted along Watt Road (west side) from Boyce-Gyro Park to Walnut Street and on Walnut Street (west side) from Watt Rd. to Abbott Street from 2 a.m. until 12 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 6.
Motorists are asked to be cautious while driving through these areas as runners have the right of way through intersections during the race. RCMP, along with certified flaggers, will serve as traffic control personnel along the race route and all traffic controls and on-site personnel must be observed.
East Kelowna Road closures 6:45 – 8:20 a.m.
Roads will reopen following the last runner.
· Pooley Road from Rose Road to Bemrose Road
· Bemrose Road from Pooley to Reekie Road
· Reekie Road from Bemrose to Hart
· Hart Road from Reekie Road to Todd Road
· Todd Road from Hart to Grantham
Full Lane closures 7:10 – 8:30 a.m.
Road will reopen following the last runner.
· Todd Road from Grantham Road to Saucier Road
Lane Restrictions 7:10 – 9:10 a.m.
· Saucier Road from Todd to Balldock – No southbound access; only northbound vehicles permitted
· Saucier Road from Balldock to Bedford – No westbound access; only eastbound vehicles permitted
· Bedford Road from Saucier to Casorso – one way alternating traffic only
Lower Mission and South Kelowna traffic advisory 8 – 10 a.m.
Roads will remain open. Motorists are reminded that runners have the right of way through intersections.
· Casorso Road to Mission Creek Greenway
· From the Mission Creek Greenway, participants will cross onto Lakeshore Road
· Lakeshore Road to Watt Road
· Watt Road to Walnut Street
· Walnut Street to Abbott Street
Downtown traffic advisory 8 – 10 a.m.
Parks and pathways will remain open for public use.
· Abbott Street to City Park (participants will use the tunnel)
· City Park to Stuart Park along pathway before finishing at Waterfront Park
There will be a Wine and Music Festival taking place at Waterfront Park until 12 p.m.; however the park will remain open to the public.
For more information about the race and its route and detour routes, visit destinationraces.com/runbc/.
For transit route and schedule information, visit bctransit.com under Kelowna.
For the most up-to-date road work, road closures and potential delays, visit kelowna.ca/roadreport.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015