Current Conditions

1.2°C

Kelowna house fire causes $20,000 damage

September 03, 2013 - 6:35 AM

KELOWNA - An early morning house fire has forced three people from their home on Highway 33.

Platoon Captain Kelly Stephens says no one was hurt after the fire, which was caused by flammable materials left too close to a hot lightbulb. 

Upon arrival Kelowna Fire Department crews found smoke coming from a single story home. It was quickly determined that all residents were out of the house.

Three engines, one rescue truck, one command unit and 15 firefighters responded to the scene with assistance from B.C. Ambulance Service and RCMP.

The fire was located in a back bedroom in a open closet area. The fire was contained to the bedroom but heavy smoke filled the house. Crews vented the house of smoke and checked for any fire extension to the attic.

After talking with residents it was determined that a camping foamy was up against a light bulb, inside the closet, that started the fire. The light was on and the door was closed and was not noticed till the occupant opened the door to the room. Both smoke detectors inside the home were activated.

Three people in the home where checked for minor smoke inhalation.

Damage is estimated to be in the $20,000 range. They have house insurance.

Kelowna Fire Department would like to remind everyone not to over load extension cords and careful not to place anything near light bulbs and lamps, etc.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Julie Whittet at jwhittet@infotelnews.ca or call (250)718-0428.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile